Sunday, March 9, 2008

The anniversary disappointment?

The door closed behind Greg as he departed for his business trip. At least he thought to give me a good bye kiss, though it was none to passionate. He would be gone during our 25th anniversary. I'm not even sure he realized it, he could never keep up with the date over the years. I’m surprised he remembered to show up the day of our wedding,( his mother must have reminded him!). The minute he left I moped around the house like a school girl jilted on her high school prom.

Well, there was always the computer. I had a well established web buddy that I could spill my soul out to. We had been "conversing" on the wide world of the web for sometime now. It added spice to my marriage to bear my soul and talk to my special buddy about all my woes. It was second best to journaling. I wrote things to Loverboy@myheart.love that I never told Greg face to face. I typed from my heart about my sense of abandonment and feelings of being second best to my husband‘s work.

Later I checked my E-mail to find a response.
Since your hubby is out of town, set Tuesday night aside for me. I have a something coming your way. signed Lover boy.


That was my anniversary date. What did my friend have in mind, I wondered.
Soon after, in the early afternoon, the door bell rang. Standing on my steps was a fed ex man with a delivery. Thanking him I closed the door and opened my mail. A hotel key...card... whatever.. fell out and bounced off my feet. Instructions were enclosed in the envelope detailing where and when to meet and what to bring in the way of luggage….nothing! Plane tickets were included. The suggestions contained in the missive brought my blood to a simmer. It is possible to live with your blood at the boiling point. I never dreamed my week would go so well. Greg was out of town and now I would be also.


I contacted my boss first and she graciously let me have Tuesday and Wednesday off on short notice.(weird, she’s pretty rigid usually!) I then called my mother to make arrangements for the kids, they were still young as it had taken Greg and me years to conceive. I was pleased to hear she was available the two days I needed her in the middle of the week. I didn’t give her any salacious details, except she could reach me on my cell phone in an emergency. She tried hard enough to get me to spill the beans about my plans, using all her mother’s ploys. (Didn’t work when I was a teenager, won’t work now, Mom.) She didn’t think I should go out of town with Greg gone. She was going mental telling me things weren’t done this way when she was growing up. I had to inform her what century she was in now. That things change.

“ Not for the better, apparently!” Mom huffed at me as I pulled out of the driveway.

I went straight to the hotel after my plane landed in a limousine that had been sent for me. (No, I don’t mean the plane landed in a limousine!) It was a hotel dreams are made in. I bypassed the registration desk, as I had my key already, to a gorgeous suite, with a very romantic set up. A table for two was set by the balcony with china and crystal, the bed, (what a bed!) was covered with rose petals, the silk sheets were already pulled back and a red lace handkerchief lay on my pillow, no wait, that‘s a nightie! (You can’t see this but I‘m blushing as I hold it up against me). That had to have cost something, the smaller the nightie the bigger the price tag. Champaign was chilling by the bedside table, hourderves tastefully arranged by experienced hotel staff....in the bathroom by an in ground Jacuzzi, (shaped like a heart and built for two), with another chilled bottle of Champaign nearby. Someone planned on getting someone tipsy! Terry cloth robes and towels provided by the hotel were scented and laying nearby on a couch. My blood was once again at boiling point. Candles were glowing on the tub side. Everything was set for a discreet , dreamy rendezvous.

Some one knocked on the door. Loverboy! No, it was a masseuse. She had been reserved for me. I slipped out of my traveling outfit and onto her table for an hour and a half of pure bliss. Soothing oils, scented candles, expert massage. I had died and gone to heaven, (or Texas, since I‘m a cowgirl there‘s still some question whether heaven will let me in!.)

After my rub down I slipped into the bath with luscious scents the massage therapist had prepared for me . I slid down till the bubbling Jacuzzi water reached my neck and I rested my head against the vibrating pillow on the edge. Perfumed steam encircled me. Ahhh. After ten minutes someone came in. I didn’t open my eyes, I didn‘t want to wake up from this luxurious dream. I heard clothes falling to the floor and felt the waves in the water as another body joined me. A hand placed a stemmed glass in mine. Opening my eyes I hooked arms with Loverboy and we sipped our bubbly beverage, eyes focused solely on each other. We sat there for a long time, till the water cooled, then we dried each other off, dressed casually and made it to the table set for two. The balcony doors were open letting a soft night breeze caress us while we gazed at the stars and full moon, thank you God for the beautiful night. Sounds of the night wafted in. Waiters came in on cue from Loverboy with a trio of singers and violinists who serenaded us during our five course meal followed by a desert cart filled with sweets of every variety to choose from. Everything met the expectations of my most clandestine fantasy.

“Happy anniversary, my love” Greg toasted me across from the table.

“Hmmm.” I answered, shading my eyes from the mid afternoon sun.


“Honey, happy anniversary!” Greg repeated, gently shaking my arm.

I stared into the eyes of Loverboy across a dirty table filled with plastic bowls lined with paper and half eaten onion rings and toasted him back with my Styrofoam coke cup. In the background our kids were laughing as they raced around the McDonald’s playground. Their happy meals partially eaten. The reverberation of kids’ squabbling and fighting for first place on the rides.

“Where were you? It looked like you were on another planet.” Greg asked.

“I was reliving the best anniversary of my life! Last night was fantastic. I still don’t know how you counted on me being able to get off work.”

“Oh, I planned this event months ago, I already informed your boss you would need those days off, and told your mother to not make any plans.”“Mom knew! She sure played her part well!” I smiled. After 24 forgotten anniversaries Greg surely pulled off the biggest bombshell ever. There can still be some secrets in our marriage after all. Imagine that, a couple with secrets!

Eccl. 9:9
Rom 7:2
1 Corinthians 7:2
Heb 13:4

No comments: