Monday, August 22, 2011

covers

by collette mcfarland
07/22/06



Look at all the covers. How can I tell what I want to read. I know I want
something short, something with romance and a good plot,lots of action. There
are so many books to choose from. I pick one up. There's a man that looks like
Fabian on the cover leaning over a girl that looks like the girl next -door's
ugly third cousin twice removed. He thinks he's God's gift to woman and she
thinks he's her birthday present. The story makes her out to be some insecure
female not worthy of his attentions. Like he's the type that would have a
relationship with a wall flower! Give me a break! He would be dating some other
empty headed well contoured body with a face designed by her plastic surgeon !
It's a harlequin romance, all these stories are the same. Boy meets girl, girl
is intimated, hates, or is otherwise not interested in afore mentioned boy.
Pursuit, run , fall , capture , tame. Now how often does that happen in real
live. Guess that's why it's called FICTION! The book is too long and phony to
keep my interest.


Here's another book. A house with a face on it. The face looks evil. Story plot
is about demon's possessing a house. Too much inside this book for me. I'll
sleep with the lights on and sprinkle holy water around my bed and on my pillow
and wake up to the aroma of mildew. I like a good fright but this book will take
to long to read so the nightmare will last for several weeks.(At my reading
speed). Besides it's been made into a movie. I could rent the move cheaper and
watch it in an afternoon and forget about it by bedtime.

The cover of another book draws my attention. Guns, violence, drugs, sex,
espionage are all promised on the book jacket. These books are usually to hard
to follow. You never can figure out the plot or whose who. Too many charactors.
Here's another book. No picture on the cover. I pick it up and look to see how
thick it is. It seems too large. I might loose interest in the story. Then I
flip through the pages to see how large the print is and if there are any
pictures. There is no indication on the back cover about the contents. Only the
title is on the front cover and spine and it's not in English, the title is
some greek name. It looks like it's filled with many short stories though. It's
divided in sections. I could read it in parts. The captions on some of the
pages lead me to believe it's got a wide variety of tales about sex, lots of
sex! Men sleeping with married women, men looking for wives, women sleeping
with ex father in laws, brothers killing brothers,rape, wars, peace,
dysfunctional families, loyal daughter-in -laws (that part must be the fictional
stuff)...unwed pregnancies. Oops, I see some nightmare stories in here too.

This book is wild. It has every thing I need in small doses. I can read it
slowly chapter by chapter and not loose track. It will cover my need for
romance, violence and love. I examine the stack of books I picked this one up
from. It's an enormous pile and it's in the back of the store. Does anyone buy
this book? Maybe it's not such a good idea for me to get one. No one else seems
interested in it. In fact they are staring at me just for holding it.
Well I've never been swayed by popular opinion. I think I'll buy it and give it a try. I
can always bring it back for a refund. I believe I've heard of a movie by the
same name before, I don't think it was a great success. Not many movie theaters
presented it. Well I'm off to give it a try. I'm not expecting much though.

At the register the cashier informend me,"This is a great book."

"It doesn't look like many people have bought it."

"This is our second shipment this week."

"Have you've read it?"

"Oh yeah, several times. It had a good ending for me."

"Don't tell me how it ends!" "It doesn't end the same for everyone."

"How's that?"

"Read it and see for yourself."

After I replaced my credit card in my wallet and headed for the door the cashier called after me,"Enjoy your new Bible!"

No comments: